I thought I’d start this Before & After series with our bedroom, Bedroom 1. After our first stint of renovating this is the most “complete” room. There’s a little list at the bottom of this post noting down a few things that we still want to do in this room, but for now we love it. It’s peaceful, personal, and a little sanctuary away from other wildly unfinished rooms, like the bathroom, aghhh!
Anyhoo, welcome to our bedroom! It’s size is roughly 3.65m x 3.08m, so not huge, but we tetressed everything in. This room is in no way “finished”, we’ve really only dealt with the floor and storage, and then moved in to it. Long term we’d like to convert the current living room into the master bedroom, which will make the house a cozy 3 bedroom bungalow. And this bedroom will become and guest room and/or study. Enough of the chit-chat, lets have a look at the horrendous carpet that adorned this room when we picked up the keys a month ago.
The whole house had been painted just before we saw it for the first time. It was painted in basic neutrals, which has made this first stage easier for us because the walls weren’t screaming at us for attention. (Unlike lots of other things!)
There is a small built-in cupboard with original 1950′s door hardware. The storage space is great, but it wasn’t really enough for us, so we added a bunch of hanging space, which I’ll show you later.
Oh that carpet… This was a locally made wool carpet, which was probably the bees-knees when it was put it. It had thick underlay, then a layer of yellow vinyl, and a layer of thin card-board under that. Go figure. I’m cataloging the idea of having vinyl in bedrooms for the future! Ha! Not really. Underneath all of that we found pine floorboards, what a blessing, and they were in good condition too. Only a couple of knots to putty.
This is what the floor looked like after we lugged out the carpet, and what-not. So full of promise.
The room became instantly brighter and fresher (especially the smell) without the carpet and lace curtain.
If you are wondering what’s going on below the window, that is a Masonite sheet covering up where two bottom panels of glass used to be. The window was full height until the late 70′s. That would have been a lot of glass in a small bedroom!
Masked up and ready for a sand and varnish.
The bedroom looks out onto a park next-door, which is lovely, but not very private. So over Easter we are having a jungle-clearing-fence-building-working-bee.
We hired floor sanding gear for two days and went to town sanding all of the floors in the house. I highly recommend doing it yourself. We saved a swag of cash, but it is very dusty, so keep that in mind. We also were able to make a quick (hardwork! But quick) job of it because our house is small, the nails were mostly punched in already and the boards are pine, (ie soft), so I’d imagine hardwood boards would take a bit longer.
After the epic sand-a-thon, Jared went to the house after work for 3 nights in a row to put down a coat of varnish. The results are incredible, and we are so glad we took the plunge to do it before we moved because holey-moley… the dust!
Dust free and fresh as a daisy!
We moved in with lots of jobs half done, one being the kitchen, I’ll tell you that crazy tale in another post. For the first week and a half we slept in the bedroom surrounded by boxes and bags of our stuff. We had no where to unpack them, so when Jared came back from a week long ‘work’ trip to Melbourne we got stuck in. We bought a storage system from Bunnings and put it up behind the door. Most people are surprised there is so much storage there when they have a stick-beak in the room. It’s a great little hiding space and we fitted so much in.
Flynn the work site dog hates a late night working bee and would rather we turn on the heater and sit in from of the box with him. What a lazy pooch.
And here is where we’re at now that we have moved in. Continue reading